Thank you for visiting EtonX! We are pleased to welcome you to the EtonX websites, including those located at https://etonx.com (the “Site”), the courses on https://learn.etonx.com (the “Course Site”) and on other etonx.com subdomains, URLs or elsewhere.
For ease of understanding, the Site, Course Site, Courses, Virtual Classroom, discussion forums and all content and services accessible on the Site and Course Site, (collectively the “Sites”) shall from here be referred to collectively as the “Service”.
By visiting or using the Service at any time, you expressly agree to be bound by these Terms and all applicable laws and regulations governing the Site and Course Site. The Terms form a legally binding agreement between you and EtonX in relation to your use of the Service and applies to all users of the Service whether they registered or not.
1. Acceptance of Terms
- EtonX sets out the following Terms upon which we offer our Service to a user i.e. a person using the Service such as a student, tutor, parent, carer, guardian or teacher (“you”, “User”).
- You are responsible for all activity that results from your use of EtonX. You agree to use EtonX and interact with other users of EtonX in good faith.
- By accessing or using the Service, you confirm that you agree to be legally bound by these Terms. You confirm that you are at least 14 years old and if you are younger than 18, that you have received the permission of your parent or legal guardian to use the Service. Your parent or legal guardian must be compliant with these Terms.
- These Terms may be updated from time to time by EtonX. The updated version of the Terms will always be available on this page. Your continued use of the Service after any such changes have been made constitutes your acceptance of the new Terms.
- If you do not comply or agree to comply with these or any future Terms, do not use, access or continue to access the Service.
i. Description of the Service
EtonX offers online courses for young adults aged 14–20 years old. The Service is built on a web application that enables you to access EtonX functionality directly through a browser from your desktop computer, laptop or phone (“Device”).
The Service allows students to take courses designed to improve their practical, entrepreneurial and soft skills. Each course consists of two main elements: self-paced online tasks and live, scheduled group classes held in the Virtual Classroom, facilitated by an EtonX tutor. Students are grouped by age, and are matched across different time zones.
2. User Accounts and Registration
- In order to create a user account on the Service offered by EtonX, you must provide your name, email address, date of birth and country.
- You must select a password (“User Password”) that is unique and entirely different from your email address. For the avoidance of doubt, your User ID will be your email address for an account that you do not share with anyone else. You agree that you will never divulge or share access to, or information about how to access, your user account with any third party for any reason.
- Your account may be directly with EtonX through the site or through a school, institution or representative of EtonX or another third party.
- Before your enrolment is confirmed on a course, you will have to complete various checks including, for example:
o supplying a copy or scan of your passport or national identification document;
o providing a video of yourself explaining why you want to take the course;
o supplying a profile image of yourself;
o listing the educational institution at which you currently study;
o undertaking a technical check to make sure you have the right equipment and Internet speed in place to participate successfully in the course; and
o verifying your English language level.
- EtonX may choose to interview any student to verify their identity, capability and appropriateness for the course. EtonX may also choose to verify a student using third parties.
- When you register, the information you provide to us during the registration process will help us in offering content and customer service.
- In setting up your user account, you may be prompted or required to enter additional information, including but not limited to your name, gender, school, university, parent’s contact details, location etc. Additional information may be required to confirm your identity.
o You must notify us (a) immediately of any unauthorised use of your user account and any other breach of security, and (b) ensure that you sign out from your user account at the end of each use of the Service.
- You agree to maintain and update all information you provide. You acknowledge that if any information provided by you is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, we reserve the right to terminate your use of the Services and your enrolment in all our courses.
- In addition to the registration process, as part of your use of the Services, we hold and may obtain certain information about you and your performance in our Courses, such as, grades/scores in our classes, courses taken, attendance record and certificates obtained. Some of this information will be personally identifiable information. We may use, maintain, and store this information to provide certain services to you now and in the future and may share such information with third parties in conjunction with such services. For example, we may retain attendance records in order to verify to an higher education institution that you have taken one of our Courses.
- By creating a user account, you agree that you cannot transfer, sell, lease or trade your user account.
- If you are not enrolled in a live course, you can delete your user account at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- At its discretion, EtonX may choose not to enrol or to disallow any student for any reason whatsoever.
3. Technical Requirements
To ensure that you receive the best experience from EtonX, there are minimum requirements for the use and access of the Service, including the use of a desktop computer/laptop, recommended browser, broadband internet connection (with sufficient bandwidth), webcam, headset and microphone.
You must have the minimum requirements in place before you enrol in a Course and gain a place in a Virtual Class.
Please note that the Services are not currently designed for use on mobile/tablet devices. For the best experience of the live group classes, please access the virtual classroom using a desktop or laptop computer.
- Desktop computer/laptop with 4GB RAM and an i3 Processor
- Webcam (external or inbuilt)
- Headset (with microphone attachment or earphones with inbuilt microphone)
- A stable connection
- Minimum download speed of 8 Mbps
- Minimum upload speed of 4 Mbps
- You can check your Internet speed by going to http://www.speedtest.net/ and clicking ‘Go’.
For participation in the Virtual Classes, we recommend the use of a wired Internet connection or stable wi-fi on a single IP address. We do not recommend the use of tethering or mobile hotspots. Use of shared or public Internet connections will be detrimental to both your experience as well as everyone else in the Virtual Class.
- Google Chrome 64+ (or the latest version of Google Chrome)
- You can download Google Chrome here https://www.google.com/chrome/
- You can check (and update) your version of the Google Chrome browser by going to https://www.whatismybrowser.com/
Other browsers do not currently support the Services and you may be denied access if you attempt to access the Service through an unsupported browser.
- Windows 8 and higher
- Mac OSX 10.7 and higher
4. Using the Sites
Access to the Sites is permitted on a temporary basis and we reserve the right to withdraw or amend the Service we provide on the Sites or part of the Sites without notice. We will not be liable or responsible if for any reason the Sites are unavailable at any time or for any period.
The information and materials on the Sites are not intended to amount to advice on which reliance should be placed by you. As such, we disclaim all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on such information and materials by any visitor to the Sites, or by any person who may be informed of any of its content.
You may view (and, where applicable, listen to) the content and applications available on the Site for your own private non-commercial use. You must not use or allow others to access or use, all or any part of our Sites or the contents and/or applications on it for commercial purposes without our permission. Use of all or any part of our Sites or the contents and/or applications on it for commercial purposes shall be subject to separate terms and conditions and may be subject to a fee.
Unless otherwise stated in these Terms, you must not (whether directly or indirectly):
- distribute, transmit, syndicate, sell or offer to sell or otherwise make available all or any part of the Sites or any content, files, feeds or data from the Sites, whether publically available or not; or
- copy, download, or store any content, files, feeds or data from the Sites, whether publically available or not, to make or populate a database or publication of any kind whatsoever, provided that for the avoidance of doubt this is not intended to restrict copying of an insubstantial part of any such material or where you are able to show ‘fair dealing’ with it, in each case in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988.
You may only play video or audio files using the media player on the Sites or on the website of one of our licensees who is displaying such material with our authorisation.
Users should be aware that content and resources may be removed from the Sites with or without notice at any time and we accept no responsibility or liability for any reliance by the user on the continued availability of any content or resources on the Sites.
Users, whether registered or not, must not abuse our ‘Report a Concern’ facility (or such other similar feature) (such as, without limitation, by making malicious reports).
You may establish a link to the Sites, provided that:
- the link is legal and not detrimental or damaging to and/or does not take unfair advantage of our reputation or business;
- the link does not falsely imply or suggest that we endorse, approve of or are associated with the linked website, its webpages or any of its contents; and
- framing of our Sites on any other website is not allowed and you must not provide access to the Site or part of it under any other URL.
We may withdraw your right to link to the Sites without notice and at any time (acting in our sole discretion). On certain parts of the Sites you may be able to include links to third party websites. Subject to these Terms you may only include links on the Site to third party websites or webpages if:
- the content of or linking to such third party websites or webpages does not breach any of the provisions set out in clause 4.i;
- links are clearly and visibly marked as such;
- the content of any linked website or webpages are relevant and clearly related to the Content to which it is linked; and
- the link will not result in any automatic download.
5. Intellectual Property
The Services are owned and operated by EtonX and its licensors.
- EtonX reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify, discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Services or any part or portion thereof, with or without notice to you.
- Where the Sites contain links to other websites, webpages, resources, or mobile services which are proprietary to third parties, other users, advertisers or sponsors, such websites, webpages, resources and mobile services are provided for your information only and you access them at your own risk. We are not liable or responsible for the content or operation of third party websites, webpages, resources or mobile services. You should read any applicable terms and conditions and privacy policies.
- All content or other material available on the Course Sites or through the Courses, including but not limited to online lectures, speeches, video lessons, quizzes, presentation materials, homework assignments, and other images, text, layouts, arrangements, displays, illustrations, documents, materials, audio and video clips, HTML and files (collectively, the “Content”), are the property of EtonX and/or its affiliates or licensors and are protected by copyright, patent and/or other proprietary intellectual property rights under law.
- Eton College and EtonX logos, trademarks and service marks which may appear on the Sites (“Marks”), are the property of Eton College and/or EtonX and are protected by law. All other trademarks, service marks and logos used on the Services, with or without attribution, are the trademarks, service marks or logos of their respective owners.
- From time to time, EtonX may include software, code, instructions, or other such information in the Content or materials for the Services; any such information is provided on an “as-is” basis for instructional purposes only and is subject to the Disclaimer of Warranties and Limitation of Liabilities sections below and other terms herein. Any use of such information for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited.
- EtonX and/or its affiliates and licensors reserve all rights not expressly granted herein to the Services, Content, and Marks.
You may not:
- publish or use EtonX’s branding or logos without prior written consent;create derivative works based on the Service;
- use the software for any purpose other than as described herein;
- copy or reproduce the Service;
- sell, assign, license, disclose, distribute or otherwise transfer or make available the Service or any copies of the Service in any form to any third parties;
- remove or alter any Marks on the Service;
- copy, sell, re-sell, display, reproduce, publish, modify, create derivative works from, transfer, distribute or otherwise commercially exploit in any manner the Services or any Content; or
- alter, reverse-engineer, decompile, disassemble or otherwise access the source code for any software that may be used to operate the Services.
Subject to your compliance with these Terms of Service, EtonX hereby grants you a freely revocable, worldwide, non-exclusive, non- transferable, non-sublicensable limited right and license to access, internally use and display the Services, including the Content, at your location solely as necessary to participate in the Courses as permitted.
You must abide by all copyright notices or restrictions contained on the Course Sites or the Content. You may not delete any attributions, legal or proprietary notices on the Course Sites or the Content.
You understand and agree that you shall only use the Service in a manner that complies with any and all applicable laws in the jurisdictions in which you use the Service. Your use shall be in accordance with applicable restrictions concerning privacy and intellectual property rights.
6. User Content and Behaviour on the Sites
- You agree that you are solely responsible for the public posting, uploading and submitting of all information, text, images, video, logos, graphics, messages, forum posts, comments, files or other materials (“User Content”) to the Site, Course Site and Virtual Classroom.
- By uploading or submitting User Content, you warrant and represent that you are the sole owner of all propriety rights in the User Content. If the User Content includes any material propriety to a third party, you warrant that you have obtained the permission of such third-party owners to use their material.
- You acknowledge that EtonX and its contractors will monitor User Content and that we reserve the right to edit, remove or delete any User Content on the Site that breaches the Terms or is deemed unacceptable by EtonX’s discretion without notifying you.
- You agree to use the Service in a diligent, polite and proper manner. In particular, you agree not to use the Service to:
- upload or post abusive, threatening, harassing, hateful or offensive content or content that causes harm or offense to others;
- upload or post content containing swearing or inflammatory language;
- upload or post content containing pornographic, obscene, indecent or unlawful content;
- upload or post anything offensive, abusive or illegal to the Course Site or Virtual Classroom;
- upload or post unauthorised advertising or promotional material, ‘spam’, ‘junk mail’, ‘chain letters’, or any other form of unsolicited material to the Course Site or Virtual Classroom;
- upload or post any file that contains viruses, Trojan horses, corrupted files, malware, spyware or similar software that may contaminate or damage another User’s computer;
- impersonate any other person or identity; and
- collect or store personal data about other Users in line with the prohibited conduct above; or copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, sell or exploit content.
- EtonX is not responsible for the content of messages sent by the User within the Services, or, to other users that they have managed to locate or find outside the Course Site or Virtual Classroom.
- EtonX does not claim ownership of User Content. By posting, uploading and submitting User Content, you grant EtonX permission to reproduce, modify, adapt and publish such User Content for the sole purpose of displaying, distributing and promoting the Service.
7. Online Code of Conduct
By signing up to and enrolling on a Course, students agree to:
- help to establish and maintain a positive and supportive online learning environment;
- treat all other students and tutors and their opinions with respect, cultural sensitivity and politeness;
- be responsive and participate to the best of their ability;
- complete all tasks and assignments on their own, unless it is a collaborative group task;
- complete all self study tasks required of them on time;
- stick to topics related to the course during Virtual Classes and in discussion forums as their participation and conduct in discussion forums is monitored and assessed by EtonX;
- be on time for all Virtual Classes and let EtonX know if they cannot attend a class for any reason by emailing email@example.com;
- communicate only in English at all times;
- be supportive and constructive when offering feedback to other students in collaborative group tasks;
- turn off or keep their mobile phone on silent during a Virtual Class so as to not distract the rest of the group;
- dress appropriately (as they would if they were going to an event at their school);
- attend all Virtual Classes from a suitable and appropriate location, such as a shared family room or classroom (not in a loud public location such as a coffee shop or on a train);
- share any concern that they have about another student with their tutor and let their tutor know immediately if they feel unsafe in a Virtual Class or breakout room;
- share any concern that they have about their tutor with EtonX by following the relevant procedure; and
- let EtonX contact their parent, guardian or carer if they have concerns about their welfare or safety, or (when this is not possible) to contact their teacher, school or university.
By signing up to and enrolling on a Course, students agree not to:
- share their username and password with students who are not enrolled on an EtonX course;
- share sensitive personal information including any form of contact details with other course members and their tutor;
- use racist, sexist, homophobic, abusive terms, swear words or language that may cause offence in the Virtual Classroom or the Course Site;
- attempt to contact their tutor(s) except through the Course Site and the Virtual Classroom and to report any attempted contact by their tutor(s) immediately to the EtonX Designated Safeguarding Lead, Catherine Whitaker by calling +(44)2038618528 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org;
- contact other members of their class outside of the Course Site or the Virtual Classroom whilst the Virtual Class is ongoing;
- attempt to contact other course members except through Virtual Classroom or the Course Site;
- post or upload anything off-topic, offensive, abusive or illegal to the Course Site or the Virtual Classroom; and
- post or upload inappropriate messages, content, unauthorised advertising, promotional material or spam to the discussion forums, Course Site or the Virtual Classroom.
By tutoring for EtonX, tutors agree to:
- treat all students and their opinions with respect, cultural sensitivity and politeness;
- be professional and maintain professional boundaries at all times;
- show up punctually and be prepared for all Virtual Classes;
- dress appropriately when conducting the Virtual Classes;
- conduct Virtual Classes from a suitable and appropriate location (not a public location or their bedroom);
- let EtonX know immediately if a student attempts to contact them outside of the Course Site and the Virtual Classroom;
- let EtonX know about any concerns they might have about individual student performance, safety and wellbeing by following the relevant safeguarding procedure and escalating any incidents as necessary; and
- comply with and follow the policies and procedures set out in EtonX’s Safeguarding Policy and Safeguarding Procedures.
By tutoring for EtonX, tutors agree not to:
- miss a Virtual Class unless it is outside of their control. In unavoidable circumstances, they will let EtonX know with more than 24 hours’ notice by emailing email@example.com;
- contact students using the private messaging function in the Virtual Classroom unless strictly necessary;
- attempt to contact students outside of the Course Site or Virtual Classroom after the Virtual Classes have finished or at any time;
- share sensitive personal information including any form of contact details with students, be this through their tutor profile or anywhere else; and
- share files that have not been pre-approved by EtonX.
All group classes taking place in the Virtual Classroom (“Virtual Classes”) are recorded for safeguarding and quality control. All messages sent in the Virtual Classroom (including private messages) are saved and a record of the chat log is made available to EtonX after the Virtual Class. A record of all files and links shared during the Virtual Class is also stored and monitored. This deters and regulates file sharing between tutors and students.
For more information on recordings, chat and file logs and what we do with them, please see our Safeguarding Policy.
If any User is found to be using the Service in a manner that is inconsistent with the Online Code of Conduct, EtonX reserves the right to deactivate or terminate your User Account without delay.
9. Data Protection Policy
EtonX fully recognises its moral and statutory responsibility to safeguard and promote the personal safety and welfare of all children and young people (“CYP”) who have an EtonX account or are enrolled on an EtonX course.
EtonX employs a safer recruitment policy for all EtonX Staff as well as a safer Tutor Recruitment Policy.
All persons using the Service have a responsibility and duty to familiarise themselves with the EtonX Safeguarding Policy.
11. Information for Parents
In the case that the student is under 18, still at school or living at home, the parent, guardian or carer shall ensure that:
- they are fully aware of the EtonX Safeguarding Policy and the Student Code of Conduct;
- the student is fully aware of the EtonX Safeguarding Policy and the Student Code of Conduct;
- they are responsible for making sure the environment of the student is safe and appropriate if the student is participating in the Virtual Class from the family home;
- they are present or available for the duration of a live class, if they consider it appropriate;
- the student does not communicate with the tutor or their peers outside of the platform or the virtual classroom;
- the student does not share their personal contact details with their tutor or their peers in the platform or the virtual classroom;
- they are aware that EtonX might contact them in the event that there is a concern with regards to the safety and wellbeing of the student, and, in the case that the parent, guardian, carer, teacher or school representative is not available, agree that EtonX will need to contact the emergency contact for the closest British Embassy;
- they are aware that EtonX may need to contact the student’s school to notify them of a concern raised by a tutor about the student being at risk of harm by a parent, guardian or carer at home; and
- they are aware that all live Virtual Classes will be recorded and will be available for review by EtonX on an ad hoc basis.
- The price of EtonX Courses is determined by EtonX. You agree to pay us the full fees prior to taking this course.
- Unless otherwise stated, all course fees are quoted in US dollars ($).
- The price that you have agree to pay each month are inclusive of any applicable tax unless otherwise specified. However, due to different local taxes, we may choose to levy a charge to cover local taxes applicable to your country.
- We may choose to levy a charge to cover transaction fees levied by your card provider.
- Our seven week courses are offered at a retail price (RRP) of between $299 and $499, depending on the course.
- From time to time, EtonX will offer promotions on courses, at its discretion. If you access pre-paid, gift, promotional or sponsored products or services for any EtonX Course, we will take the payment at the discount rate offered by EtonX and not the retail price of the course as listed in the product description.
- If one student receives a discount, it does not mean that any other student should receive the same discount.
- Discounts are time dependent and can be offered on a bespoke, student by student basis, at the discretion of EtonX.
- We reserve the right to not offer the same prices to all our students.
- We reserve the right to vary our pricing for future customers to our services.
- We reserve our right to offer additional services or content at any time for free or at a charge to a segment of our customer base where we deem it to be commercially appropriate, without notifying all our customers.
- In the unlikely event of an administrative error resulting in an incorrect price being displayed on the Site, we reserve the right to correct the price.
- We reserve the right to withdraw the promotion or change any of the terms (including the availability and end date) of the promotion at any time without notice to you.
iii. Payment Terms
- We reserve the right to limit the purchase and sales of our Service to any person, geographic region or jurisdiction. We may exercise this right on a case-by-case basis.
- Payment can be made using debit and credit cards only. We are unable to accept cash, bank transfers or cheques. You will be required to set up an account through the Site using either a debit or credit card. Where your payment cannot be processed by our payment processing provider, we reserve the right to limit our services to you until the payment is settled.
- Your card details will be protected at all times in accordance with good industry practice. Payments are processed directly through a secure system via our card services provider.
iv. Refund Policy
- You may cancel services that you have ordered from us within 14 days of placing your initial order, if you have not started the course. If you cancel within this period of 14 days and have not received any services from us prior to cancellation, you will receive a full refund minus an administration charge of $50.
- Once you have started a course, we will not offer a discount.
- Should a student not meet the minimum requirements of the course e.g. English level, age boundary etc, EtonX will offer a full refund. Where a student has lied on their application, we will not offer a refund.
- If within four weeks of paying, EtonX cannot find an appropriate matching time slot, EtonX will offer a full refund.
- All cancellation requests must be made in writing via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- All agreed refunds will be fulfilled within 30 days, if not earlier.
- No refunds will be issued in the case of any corrective action for any violations of the Terms.
13. Maintenance and Downtime
You acknowledge and agree that from time to time we may need to:
- fix defects and errors in the Site and Course Sites;
- install updates and undertake general diagnosis and maintenance of the Site and Course Sites; and
- undertake emergency maintenance and/or suspend access to the servers and that as a result of which the Site and Course Sites may be less accessible or unavailable to you from time to time.
By accepting the Terms, you agree to indemnify and otherwise hold harmless EtonX.
15. Limitation of Liability
You expressly understand and agree that EtonX shall not be liable for any indirect, incidental, special, consequential or eemplary damages, including but not limited to,
damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, data or other intangible losses (even if EtonX has been advised of the possibility of such damages).
In no event will EtonX’s aggregate liability to you exceed the amount of fees paid by you to EtonX, directly or indirectly. These limitations and exclusions will apply notwithstanding any failure of essential purpose of any limited remedy. Some jurisdictions do not allow the limitations of damages and/or exclusions of liability for incidental or consequential damages. Accordingly, some of the above limitations may not apply to you.
16. Termination of Service
EtonX may modify the Service with notice to you either by email or by publishing a notice on the Site or Course Site. These modifications include (but are not limited to) changing the functionality and/or appearance of the Service. In the event EtonX significantly modifies the Service, you may cease use of the Service.
- EtonX may terminate your use of the Service at any time, with or without notice.
- We may terminate your use of the Service immediately without notice for any breach by you of these Terms or any of EtonX’s applicable policies, as posted on the Site and Course Site from time to time.
- We may discontinue offering any Course at any time, apart from instances when a User is enrolled and participating in a running Course.
- You may terminate your use of the Service at any time, either by ceasing to access it, or by contacting us at email@example.com. We have no obligation to retain any of your User Account information or User Content for any period of time beyond what may be required by applicable law. Upon termination, you must cease all use of the Service. Any accrued rights to payment and all representations and warranties shall survive termination.
If you have any questions about these Terms or the practices of EtonX, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last revised: 14th March 2018