Develop your ability to interpret, analyse and evaluate ideas and arguments.Purchase
During the course you will analyse different scenarios and complete interactive activities which will help you put theoretical knowledge into practice. By the end of the course you will be able to have more confidence in your arguments and be able to spot fallacies in other’s.
Types of Arguments
- Argument in the context of critical thinking
- The link between reason and truth
- Using different types of reasoning
Identifying Bad Arguments
- Good and bad ways of reasoning
- Fallacies – slippery slope, ad hominem, post hoc and false dilemma
- Hidden assumptions
- Different types of evidence
- Assessing evidence
- Trusting your senses
- Questioning data and statistics
- Presentation of data in graphs
- Assessing proof
Emotion and Bias
- The effect of emotions on judgement
- Identifying biases and prejudices in thinking
Applying Critical Thinking
- Arguments in different contexts and formats
Critical Thinking – learning outcomes
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Use logic to analyse an argument
- Identify bad arguments and faulty reasoning
- Assess the evidence used to support an argument
- Evaluate the data and statistics used as evidence to support an argument
- Identify if emotions have influenced an argument
- Recognise bias and prejudice in thinking
From a school?
We can work with you to create custom packages and pricing. Get in touch with our team to discuss your requirements.
As part of our rigorous safeguarding procedures, all EtonX tutors and staff have passed an enhanced DBS check and Child Safeguarding course.
Privacy and data
To ensure you have the best experience, there are some minimum requirements – click here to check if your device meets these.
The minimum level of English required to participate in our courses is Upper Intermediate or B2 on the CEFR.
I learnt so much during these short 7 weeks and it was a great opportunity to meet new friends. I stepped out of my comfort zone by opening up and confidently speaking with others, and during lessons I was able to speak up more. I will definitely recommend EtonX to my friends.