Our Research Skills course develops your ability to conduct independent research that goes far beyond your textbooks or basic internet searches. You will learn how to gather information from a wide range of credible resources and how to structure the research process. You will learn about tools and techniques to save you time and how to reference your sources correctly.
- The research process
- Why you shouldn’t only use a popular search engine
- Recognising your biases
Planning Your Research
- Defining the information needed
- Managing your time
- Saving research and organising notes
- Different search platforms
- Refining your search
- Techniques for evaluating resources
- Strategies for reading for different purposes
- Drawing conclusions and synthesising different sources
- How to write research up
- Academic honesty
- Referencing sources and creating a bibliography
Presenting Your Findings
- Best types of outputs
- Using visual aids
Research Skills – learning outcomes
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Define your information need
- Manage your research time
- Organise your research in the most efficient way
- Use critical reading techniques
- Use advanced search features
- Write up your research
- Convey your findings in a credible way
- Reference sources correctly
From a school?
We can work with you to create custom packages and pricing. Get in touch with our team to discuss your requirements.
As part of our rigorous safeguarding procedures, all EtonX tutors and staff have passed an enhanced DBS check and Child Safeguarding course.
Privacy and data
To ensure you have the best experience, there are some minimum requirements – click here to check if your device meets these.
The minimum level of English required to participate in our courses is Upper Intermediate or B2 on the CEFR.
My favourite part was the amount I have learnt. It has been so informative, and I will take on board all of the tips and tricks, not only in my research project, but to aid me in the future.