Our Writing Skills Course will teach you the techniques you need to create a well-structured and powerful essay no matter what the question. We’ll take you from the brainstorming stage, through building your argument to editing the finished essay. You will be supported by interactive activities, practice tasks and advice from experts.
A Good Essay
- Your strengths and areas of challenge
- Types of essays
- Finding your voice and overcoming obstacles
Researching the Topic
- Analysing essay titles
- Brainstorming before starting research
- Using sources appropriately
Planning Your Essay
- Identifying a line of argument
- Structuring and planning
Building Your Argument
- Effective strategies for well-argued and coherent paragraphs
- Sense checking
Developing Your Writing Style
- Formal language
- Precise language
- Connecting expressions
- Effective sentences
Editing Your Essay
- Sources of misunderstanding
Writing Skills – learning outcomes
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- analyse the essay question and define your task
- utilise techniques for efficient planning
- create a coherent structure
- develop an argument and write purposeful introductions and conclusions
- use appropriate language
- avoid plagiarism and use reference material appropriately
- check your essay for accuracy and consistency.
As part of our rigorous safeguarding procedures, all EtonX tutors and staff have passed an enhanced DBS check and child safeguarding course.
Privacy and data
To ensure you have the best experience, there are some minimum requirements – click here to check if your device meets these.
The minimum level of English required to participate in our courses is Upper Intermediate or B2 on the CEFR.
Through the writing course, I learned to structure my essay and organise my ideas in a more efficient way. This can really help when I go to university in the future, as I’ll have to write a lot of essays.Bernice, Writing Skills, Hong Kong